To Complain or Not To Compain.

So tonight couple of friends and I went over the Regal 24 to check out the newest installment of the long running James Bond flicks. This blog isn't about the movie (however if it was I would recommend waiting until it comes out on DVD), but more about what happened after the movie.

After the movie we then proceeded to go to a restaurant that will remain nameless. Once there, it was almost 30 minutes until we were asked what drinks we wanted. (keep in mind there were maybe 20 people in the whole restaurant) It was probably another 30 minutes until we got our food and still we were missing food.

Now, as a Christian, is it okay to complain about the service to a manager?

I want you to keep in mind several variables or questions that are going through my mind before I answer this seemingly easy question:

1 - Perhaps the waiter or waitress is having a rough night... she is a real human being with real life joys and hurts.

2 -
On the other side, a job is a job. You can't just use that as an excuse for poor service.

3 -
As a Christian in a broken world, we should be thankful that we even have the ability to go out and have SOMEONE ELSE serve US food! That idea would baffle many parts of the world that die from hunger every single day. Actually, when I say many parts of the world, I mean majority.

4 -
Perhaps it helped the manager improve his service so that they don't lose more customers, in a round about way, you are helping him.

5 -
What if that waitress came to the church I work at some day... would she see me and turn right around?

6 -
Is it okay if I complain in a classy fashion? If I'm not a jerk about it then perhaps it won't be as bad... or is it always bad?

So I still don't know where I stand. I ended up asking to talk to the manager and got a bunch of stuff off of our bill. But at what cost... I still feel like crap knowing that perhaps I hurt the waitresses feelings, or perhaps she got yelled at. I don't like to be responsible for that, I don't know her. Anyway... you may feel the same way, maybe not... what do you think?

1 comments:

Mark Falcone said...

A-

Think of 'the whole' in this situation. Said restaurant, (M&E perhaps), needs to have great customer service in order to survive in these tough times. The manager needs to know problems in order to assure that success, and the waitress needs to know how she needs to perform her job better as part of the whole. Perhaps she needs more training. It should not worry you how the manager handles the situation with her. Hopefully, it is the right way, and it is not your fault regardless. You doknow how tyo handleyourself when speaking with the manager. That is in your control.

PL&U,

Mark