Wow... These People Are So Rich!

Friday night had to be one of the more uncomfortable evenings that I have had in quite some time. On Friday I was invited by Melissa to join her to the Albright College Trustees Dinner. They were celebrating a successful campaign to raise money for the school... I couldn't help but walk in the door and think... Wow... these people are so rich...

Now don't get me wrong, it was for an amazing cause. These people gave sooo much money so that future students have opportunities that they would have not been able to have any other way. And Albright does a great job to do that exact thing. I just wanted to clarify that I don't know these people, but I DO know that they are huge givers, and I admire them.

Going on, have you ever walked in a door and immediately felt completely out of place. Well then you felt a lot like I did that night, or at least for a little bit.

Let me take you back a little. Growing up, most people are constantly being wired and told that you need to be successful, you need to make a lot of money, and you have to get as comfortable as you possibly can. Well, I was told that. My parents wanted me to be successful so I didn't have to deal with the financial struggles that they deal with. Relatives want you to get rich so you won't have to fight with your spouse about money. People and school want you to get smart so you can go to a good college and then get a high end job where you can make a ton of money, then in turn be happy.

Well when you are wired that way for your whole life, it is a hard thing to unwire.

The second God laid it on me that I was built for something so much bigger, I had to let all of that go. I had to learn that nothing I will ever have is coming with me after it all ends. I had to learn that I can never find hope in any THING. I can never be saved by any thing. They will give you some temporary happiness... but permanent joy you will not find.

I really learned what is was like to truly be happy like when I was in Fiji, and I drank rain water, bathed with well water and ate what we grew. I learned what it means to truly have when I got to go a build a house for a beautiful family in Juarez, Mexico.

It's funny because when I was at the trustees dinner, I would look around at the dozens of people who have given so much money and I would say... Wow... these people are SO RICH... I would miss all of the giving, and huge hearts of these people, and just wonder how they have so much.

It's kind of ironic, because when I was in Mexico, when we were surrounded by all of the local people at the dedication ceremony it was kind of the same thing. Even thought we were doing the same thing that the trustees were doing, building them a place to live and learn, when they walked in, they probably thought the same thing... Wow... These people are so rich.

So here I am... Months later learning that I have this whole wealth thing backwards. This Mexican family, they have each other. They have what they need to survive and they depend on each other for the rest. They were such a happy bunch. I have never seen a kid smile as much as when we gave him a soccer ball...

So I sit here at my desk... and I think about this whole wealth thing, and materialism, and the battle for class and status. But then my mind turns to that family in Mexico and it hits me, Wow... These people are so rich.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you missed the point of our celebration. It was to thank people who shared their wealth (and some of them not all that wealthy who made heroic sacrifices) to forward a cause they believe in -- the education of young people. Many of our students are the first in their families to attend college. Our students leave here and make life better for lots of others as physicians, scientists, clergy, teachers, entrepreneurs. They provide countless hours of volunteer service, including places like the Dominican Republic and New Orleans. Albright College is not "rich." We depend on the kindness and support of others to continue our mission. But we did feel that a beautiful celebration and a lovely dinner were a fitting way to thank those who gave so generously to our cause.

Adam Flora said...

I am sorry if I came across belittling the celebration in any way. I thought it was absolutely incredible that people were so willing to give so much for the cause of education. I would also NEVER assume to know any of the trustees. The celebration was BEAUTIFUL and for a great cause. I simply wanted to paint a picture of the struggle that I constantly find myself in between wealth of this world, and the wealth of service, morals and family! Thank you for your input.