A Musical Journey Through My Life

So I wanted to take a quick journey through my life using a few key songs that represent where I was at that time. I'm going to try to be as transparent as I can, so enjoy.

So I wanted to start with: Green Day - When I Come Around.


This song was on the first CD I ever bought called "Dookie." I got it in 1994 from good ol' Blue Tone Records that used to be in the Trappe shopping center. This was the fun loving punk attitude that I had from the age of 8. It's funny teaching kids in foxes and frogs who like green day, and were born 6 years after I bought this cd. Things were good at this time. My aunt referred this CD to me at the weekly family gatherings that we used to have. This song only lasted so long before things got a little more dark.

This leads me to the next song that I played often: Limp Bizkit - Faith


This song came blaring from my speakers though the years of my life I like to call the "dark ages". These are the years that are right in the middle of some really awful fights with my father and when my mother was in the middle of fighting alcoholism and my sister was leaving the house to go to college. I fit in with some friends who were really big into being "Gothic" and into really loud angry music. The influence that these friends had on me at this time was almost embarrassing as I look back.

All of these moments lead me to this song that changed my life: Simple Plan - Perfect


Still before anyone in my family had found God there were a lot of issued between me and my dad. The only time we interacted was at 4 in the morning. He was getting up to go to work, and I was about to go to bed. Things had gotten so bad at this point that one morning I had given him my Walkman (yes, a portable cd player) with a CD in it that I had burnt with one song on it... this one. Some of the words read, "Hey Dad look at me, Think back and talk to me. Did I grow up according To plan? Do you think I'm wasting My time doing things I Wanna do? But it hurts when you Disapprove all along..." I think things between us changed from that day on, things got a little bit easier... or at least I found a new way to deal with it...

This brought me into the party days... The song that goes with this time is Chumbawamba - Tubthumping


I like to call these the "party years". Those years with stupid hook ups, drinking, bad grades, a ton of friends, and no real reason to have any responsibilities. I had a car, a job, some money, and endless possibilities. I thought I was cool during these years. Probably the only years I thought I was cool for that much. I chased Melissa throughout these years and it usually ended up with her saying no, and me going drinking with the boys. It all came to a crashing halt when I got in trouble with the police at a party. I felt like my life had become completely meaningless with no purpose. From that point on I ended up randomly on a Christian retreat in Tennessee where two days later I ended up being what I never thought I would be... A Christian...

This leads me to my next song: Kristian Stanfill - Jesus Paid It All


The next couple years of my life can only be described as a modern day miracle. During these years I grew incredibly in my faith. I asked Melissa to go out with me, and haven't let go since. I decided to go into youth ministry, then later on took control of the very same youth ministry that I found Jesus at. I toured the country with CIY. I made the best friends in the world at Eastern University. I traveled to Fiji and New Zealand chasing God, and I could not have been happier.

This leads me to the last song on my journey... one that I have posted before: I'm Yours - Jason Mraz


I have been chillin and exploring life ever since. I hope to spend the next couple of years on endless adventures that hopeful end up with me relaxing somewhere beautiful with people I enjoy... who knows. My life still has many songs that are yet to be played... until then...

0 comments: