Abortion, Politics, Fame and ALL THINGS FUN!

Tonight was a very interesting and sporatic night. I was outside of the caffeteria tonight when someone handed me a piece of paper saying that Donald Miller was going to be speaking at our school tonight. There were two things that I thought were very cool about that. ONE - Donald Miller is an incredible author who wrote one of my favorites, "Blue Like Jazz." This book is cool because it is the book that I would hand to anyone who is interested in Christianity. He is a real person and he writes it like he feels it. TWO - He was coming to represent Barack Obama and talk politics with a bunch of fired up political college students.

That is a dangerous gig if you ask me.

ESPECIALLY because he decided to talk about the dreaded A word... Oh yeah... Abortion.

He has worked with Barack for quite some time now. He found out how faith is a huge part of life and wanted to get involved with what he was doing. He made note that Barack is the only senator with a Faith Initiative Group inside of his office. I thought that was neat.

Anyway, things got very heated in the auditorum with a woman who wanted to let Mr. Miller know how she felt about abortion. He was explaining in a nut shell that it isn't that Obama likes abortion. He hates it, but is a realitic person. He believes that the way to go would not be to try to attempt the nearly impossible to overturn Roe v Wade. Even in countries where it is illegal the numbers aren't much different. He wants to starts with initiative plans to help teen pregnancies and mentorship with tax initiatives for the men involved. He is starting a program called 95-10. I believe it is to reduce abortions by 95% in 10 years. There is a lot more that I could learn about this, but you should check it out also!

NOW DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER. I just thought it was bold that he travels the country taking on what people are scared to talk about. After things got pretty heated you KNOW that I had to ease the tention. I simply raised my hand and when I got called on said "Umm... I think I'm going to have to go ahead and change the subject." The whole crowed applauded. I was then able to ask questions about how the future president is going to be able to help me pay for college. Interesting stuff! So yes... It was a night full of adventure.

1 - I got a new insight on the one thing I was leaning with in voting for Obama.

2 - I got to talk to Donald Miller (whom I am a big fan of)

3 - And I got to ease the tension in a room of 400 people.

Thats a good night for me!

If you have any more Obama questions or rebukes... check out Obama's plans at BarackObama.com. I do not argue politics on my blog. I don't ask you to agree, just to think and enjoy!

1 comments:

Evan Flora said...

Grandma will forever call him the baby-killer
LOL