Worrying - The Road To Nowheresville.

In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy.

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got no gal to make you smile
Don't worry, be happy.
'Cause when you worry your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
Don't worry, be happy...

Bobby McFerrin was definitely going in the right direction when he wrote us the worry free theme song of a lifetime, "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

But what did he understand that we just don't get?

As I lay in bed, here are only a few of the thoughts that go through my head:

Well, I did my budget sheet today, and I'm pretty sure when it ends in a negative number that is a bad thing... what should I do? I have a huge paper due on Wednesday, when the heck am I going to find the time to do it! When am I going to make time for my friends, my girlfriend, my family and all of the extra stuff I have to do for work and still have some free time to stay sane. When am I going to write my message for Sunday? Is it even good, will the teens like it? How the heck am I going to pay to take that Extra class in May, pay to go to my sisters wedding in the Dominican, afford next semesters tuition, why the heck does it cost 32 thousand dollars to learn to be a pastor, do I have enough gas in my car to drive to class tomorrow morning, I guess a trip for spring break is out of the question...

And there I lay... restless...

If worrying is the most stupid thing we can do... Then WHY do we all do it all the time!?

It's almost like a bridge to nowhere.

So this is what we're going to do, we're going to check out what the WORD has to tell us about worrying, and then we're going to get together some alternatives.

Matthew 6
And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?... You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing? ... for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

So some pretty bold statements there... The first point makes so much sense.

Alternatives:

When has worrying EVER added a single hour to your life? If for every second you spent worrying, you were calmly thinking about solutions to the problems, you would certainly not have as many worries!

Instead of worrying about Money (bills for the house, clothes, food) try trusting. If you do believe in a God out there... then you have to believe that if you lay your trust in Him, he will get you through whatever you are going through. Sometimes the solutions He will give you are simply opportunities to get past the obstacle yourself!

Here comes a point from my last post... Get Help. If you are worrying about simply being overwhelmed, know that it is okay to ask for help if you can't do everything yourself (which you can't).

Lastly, (warning - this is where I lose sympathy.) Stop whining and moping, and fix the problem! Worrying just brings brings down the people around you. If the problem is time, rework your schedule. I strongly believe you have time for what you want time for. If the problem is money, then rework your budget, you may have to cut stuff you don't want to, but you will not be taking years off of your life by worrying!

Ultimately remember we are only on this earth for a blink of an eye, and then we are gone. You could die tomorrow, you have no idea! I think that together we need to spend a little more time really chasing life and less time worrying.

I want to finish with something that always makes me happy, no matter how stressed I am, Enjoy!

2 comments:

Frank Chiapperino said...

Looks like the start of a pretty good sermon right there!

Mark Falcone said...

A-

Surely worry comes from the fact that we value things that are not as important as we think. That is what worries us. If one has true honest-to-goodness faith in the Lord, then I would think they would worry less and less about the 'small stuff'. Because the small stuff can NEVER measure up to what really matters in the BIG picture of the TRUTH.

How's that for an Agnostic's view?

-Mark