YAHWEH and Jager Bombs - PART 3

Please read posts 1 and 2 of this 3 part series before reading this one!

So here it is, the part of this series that is a little big different than the norm. I am going to have a short discussion on the UP side of enjoying a few drinks every now and then. Remember again, this is strictly opinion, and I am hoping to learn more as I continue to hear of more Biblical resources and personal experiences.

Reason 1: Community
Two things I look forward to that involve alcohol in them. The first is when we have large family parties. Our family parties are very... Italian. We have a bunch of drinks and we have fun as a family. Obviously there are no lusting or debauchery because you are with your family, you just get to enjoy laughing over the past and all kind of stupid memories. The second would be when my sister comes over. We enjoy playing Beer Pong, which is one of my favorite games. We play the game and laugh and talk about old memories. I can also get away with asking her truthful questions about her faith. I can seldom get away with asking her about that aspect of her life without getting an earful or criticism. I have been involved with a whole bunch of gatherings with friends where there was drinking that was not excessive, and it surely makes things a whole lot more lively.

Reason 2: Honesty
One time in specific I remember having so many awesome conversations because my aunts and uncles were willing to put down their guards and be real. People can sometimes have some help putting down their guards that we so frequently put up on a daily basis. It's pretty cool to hear how someone really feels. I'm sure however, some of you can recall what it's like when someone is too honest.

Reason 3: Biblical Encouragement

Ecclesiastes 8:15

"15 So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun."

Take what you may from this verse, perhaps they are talking about drinking water? Biblically speaking, the Bibles history is rich in enjoying drinks. Wine was a very common thing at meals. Another thing that was common practice was people in that time drinking their good wine first, and their not so good wine second, because at that point you didn't care about the taste so much. It was not frowned upon, it was just part of their culture. I mean, one of Jesus' first miracles was turning water into wine... did he want to keep the party going?


FINAL ANALYSIS
In my OPINION, alcohol was put on the earth to be enjoyed, however a few guidelines come with the whole package. I do like the community aspect of alcohol, and the fact that it helps people come out of their shell, however their are a whole lot of warning signs that you must look out for. If alcohol is ever an escape from problems, or something you ever NEED in any way shape or form, then this is a vice for you, and you must AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. If alcohol is something that becomes frequent more than once a week on a weekly basis, then you must also look very seriously at dependency and STAY AWAY from it forever. With alcoholism in my family, I like being able to drink and be the one in control. I hate seeing what it did to my mom, and how it controlled her. It continues to be in charge, and that is why she has decided to make the incredible decision to never drink another drink again!

If you are in ministry, then the rules change for you a little bit. You want to always be beyond reproach, but a lot of discernment is involved with how you need to make your decisions with drinking. If you are a senior pastor of a church, then you may need to consider the fact that if other people see you drinking it could cause them to stumble, EVEN IF it is not directly a sin. You also have to try to figure out how far you will go with the whole idea how not actually sinning, but having to look at how people view it from the OUTSIDE. If you are not a senior pastor, then you must be VERY careful on the when, where and how. You must do it around a few people, and obviously never around students if you are a youth pastor, or someone who you know would have a problem with it. The rules are not so black and while unfortunately. It takes you really looking into your heart, and into your actions and making smart decisions.

I have seen alcohol destroy families and lives, and I have also seen it create some really cool memories. Alcoholism is a very real thing, and God's strength is the only thing that can get you out of that. For some reason our culture puts underage drinking and alcoholism as some kind of super sin. It's unfortunate because I think it's original intent was something really cool. This will be an ongoing discussion, and I hope to learn more as I grow more wise with my years.


3 comments:

Justin Best said...

I like the conclusion you've come to Flora. I think it's pretty holistic and puts it in perspective pretty well.

J. Best

Nick "Danger" Weingartner said...

hey man,
i dug what you wrote as well. cool to see someone look into it biblically as much as you did.

-nick

Diane Karchner said...

Adam - your willingness to put yourself 'out there' is entertaining, if not downright, inspiring. I know from experience, that those who put themselves out there can be targeted more easily than others and can get hurt more easily than others. So beware, my young friend, for what's coming. The adventure may often be laden with tears and not thrills...but keep being the man that God created you to be. Confident and brave. And remember, always and always, the picture of the man you so love - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit...your attitude should be the same as Christ Jesus.

Keep up the great work, Adam. You have lots to look forward on your grand adventure with God.