My Semi-Annual Struggle

It's that time of year again... the time when I am about ready to go back to school, and financial aid tells me that it isn't possible. I have basically run into the same financial roadblock every single semester I have ever gone to school, and this is no different.

I received word today that because my transcript from my class I took at Montgomery County Community College didn't get to Eastern on time, that they took away ALL of my financial aid. This is a fun thing to hear 2 weeks before school starts. What is even more fun is when they tell you to file an appeal letter, and that you will hear back in two weeks... may I remind you, the first day of class is in... two weeks.

I always need prayer this time of year.

Maybe there is something that comes around every year for you that you just don't have the strength to get through alone.

I have always struggled with this financial aid thing because the only way out of it is through loans... Then besides that comes the stupid tasks of finding cosigners because of my age. A few things about loans:

1) Whoever invented the idea of borrowing $35,000 dollars and paying back $120,000 dollars wasn't very good at math.

2) I don't think God likes loans.


Proverbs 22:7

The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower becomes the lender’s slave.


Romans 13:8
Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.


3) I Hate loans.


We are always encouraged to take out loans because it is "for a good purpose". I hate the idea of not being able to do what I want to do after I graduate. I have to do what the bank tells me to do. That is usually to find a steady good paying job. Not go be a missionary, or go explore the country... That stuff you can do after you pay your loans... except you will have kids by then, then what??? CAN YOU SAY CATCH 22!!!

I am going to find a way to beat this stupid system that they have created for people to fall into debt and start life behind.

1 comments:

beans said...

I remember starting my junior year at eastern and I, too, got a letter saying i had no financial aide (and no family banging down the door to help!). i prayed and prayed, and basically said that if i was meant to be there, then it would come through. seriously, 3 hours before class was supposed to start i found out it had all been figured out. god is really neat to keep me on my toes like that!

i agree that the paying back financial aid really stinks. i have a degree from eastern and bryn mawr to pay back and i am sure i will die before that chunk of change is paid off.

good luck, and i will keep you in my prayers-