Letting Go, and Letting You In...

Well, that is a wrap for Stretch Full Circle 2008. We can all now take a great sigh of relief... alright and breath in real deep... and let it all out... Alright, nice job everyone...

Last night we capped off the middle school stretch conference reaching hundreds of students who have never walked into our doors before. I got to hear a story today of a family who had not been to church in over 10 years, but joined in with us today due to 2 of their 5 children hanging out with us at stretch. It's stuff like that, that screams to me I am in the right place.

We reached the pinnacle of our whole conference last night when we made it to our decision time that we wrap up the conference with. It's the time when we shut off all of the fancy lights and Travis (our hired speaker out of California) gave it to all of the kids straight. Guys... I am not promising things will be easy, or that you won't have to sacrifice, but this is what Jesus has done for you... what are you going to do about it...

He then asked the student to raise their hands and go to a leader if they are ready to make a decision. Maybe that decision was to come and to just ask questions or to pray. Maybe it was to repent, or maybe, just maybe it was to decide to be baptized. When he asked them to do this, so many hands flew up, to even the surprise of Travis. He even had to clarify that kids knew exactly what they were raising their hands for. Dozens of decisions were made, and it sent chills down the spine of almost every leader in the room. So from that point all of the students who made decisions left the room and went outside to talk about these decisions with leaders. (which is a brilliant idea to stray from being emotionally manipulative with a young mind, that will be a whole other post) From there Travis told anyone who had made a decision but had not gotten up to leave, or if you already have dedicated your life to Christ to listen to the last song for the night.

The song is called "At the Cross" by Foundation Red, and I have a bit of a connection with this song myself. This is the song that was playing 4+ years ago when I stumbled to the front of the room during worship to give my life to Christ.

You can listen to the song HERE.

To see these kids making these decisions, especially to this song really made me look back at where I have been. It's important at times to remember where you have been to get a clear look at where you are, and where you need to be.

I just remember my whole world being in that room last night, as the song echoes throughout the room, "I'm at this place in my heart, where I see the cross and I need to be forgiven... Laying down and letting go, and letting you in..." Watching middle school kids let go... God is good.

0 comments: