I saw the sign... and it opened up my eyes.

So, I find myself faced with a whole new challenge. If we are to continue talking about this whole life of dangerous wonder, there is another part of life we are going to have to learn how to deal with... problems.

You would be surprised how someones personality can drastically change when they become stressed or angry or when they are dealing with real challenges or losses. Even today, I became very grumpy from being at work longer than I wanted to or had planned to. I then proceeded to treat someone in a manner that is definitely not in a way that Christ would treat someone.

This all came up when I had a little bit of a problem yesterday...

Driving home from a friends house in the pouring down rain on a road I have been on only like once, I had a little accident. I WAS going the speed limit, but it didn't matter. I tried to turn, but I was already in a massive puddle, and was hydroplaning off the road. I then basically sat back and held on for the ride. I flew over a sidewalk and right into a massive sign.

Good News though!

My fender and hood I was able to just bend back, I also didn't break anything major in my engine compartment. The only damages I really have to fix is a smashed headlight. I am okay with having an ugly car for now, I always have.

But here is the deal, I had plans to head to the beach early this morning. I knew from the second I hit the sign that I wasn't going to make it to the beach.

This would make it easy for anyone to jump out of character and get super pissed. But something was different this time. From the second it happened I told myself "Adam, stuff happens... This isn't even that bad, it's just stuff..." It made a huge difference.

In a life of dangerous wonder, you have to learn how to deal with the little crappy things that are always going to happen. You are going to have to learn how to stare trouble in the face and say... "This is not a salvation issue, so it's not such a big deal!"

In student ministries we just finished our James series called "Pimp My Life" which was kicked off with a sermon on Joy through Trials. James says in verses 2 through 4:

"2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Perhaps the joy of this trial is that it is finally time to buy myself that jeep that I have always wanted. I mean, I've wanted the same thing since age 7, who knows... who knows.


Let us persevere and grow together. Let us find joy through trials...

0 comments: