We all have hobbies... right?

So from time to time the norm just becomes a little too... well... normal. Perhaps a little excitement in something in our lives would just give us that little kick start that we need to have. Maybe thats why we have hobbies. Perhaps we have hobbies that are passed down from our parents. Dad played in the marching band, and decided to pass down his beloved trumpet to you. Maybe you are influenced by the people you are around. A coworker decides he wants to hit the tennis courts, you think he's a cool guy, so you tag along. We all have some type of hobby whether you know it or not.

I recently picked up a few hobbies for the reason that I just wanted to try something new! I started off by acquiring a quite large fish tank and stand. I had a good ol' time setting it all up and adding a whopping 40 gallons of water and 4 very little starter fish. This is cool to me because well, I hate pets. I figured this was the next best thing. You know that feeling you get when your dog comes and sits on your lap, well yeah, I get that when my fish come to the top to eat... kinda. So either way, it has been interesting maintaining the tank and trying to find new fish or turtles or frogs to put into my tank to be my new friends.

Another hobby I recently picked up is guitar. I started my first acoustic guitar lessons about a week ago, and am leasing a sweet Carlo Robelli to practice on. I really love music, and I have always admired the abilities of some of my favorite artists such as John Mayer or Jack Johnson to just turn a piece of wood into the most relaxing sounds on earth. Perhaps if I stick with it, I may get good at it! I already did the drum thing, so it will be cool to be a little more well rounded.

All of this to bring up the question, what kind of hobbies did Jesus have? We all think we know Jesus so well, but at times when I ask questions like that it's easy to feel distant. I think at the same time it makes him feel more like a human who had likes and dislikes. I can picture Jesus walking from town to town, or just kickin' it with the disciples. Did he play the sports they played in his time, or was he always in studying scripture (he was extremely proficient with scripture) because thats what students desiring to be a rabbi or teacher did? Did Jesus love to ride boats, or is it just how he got around along with his fisherman followers?

A lot of times it's hard to relate to Jesus because of the mask that we put on him. We always see him so stern or Mr. Rogers-like. I figured it was worth while to step outside the box a little and wonder what hobbies did the man who give His life for us have. I mean, can you count walking on water as a hobby?

0 comments: