Partial Christianity Doesn't Work

If you were to ask me what the most counterproductive aspect of the Christian faith is, I would tell you that it is Partial Christians. Too many times the motions of the average Christian is completely deprived of the word ACTION.


I gave a 20 minute message on Sunday night about the life of Paul, and about how when he was healed by Ananias he then made an ALL or NOTHING decision about following Jesus. As we have come to find, Paul, in that instance decided to choose ALL.

The problem I see today is that the majority of Christians want to follow Jesus, but only so far. Going 50% for Jesus until things get too hard, complicating or uncomfortable simply does not work for me. We do not see following Jesus as an ALL or NOTHING ordeal.

I with shame say that I am one of those Christians, and I feel convicted. Every year I do this cleanup trip in Chester, Pennsylvania, and I can't help but ask really hard questions. It's hard for me to know I am going to school down on the Main Line (One of the wealthiest areas in Pennsylvania) less than 15 minutes from the poorest. You know 70% of all Americans say that they are Christians. 70%. Do you have any idea what 70% of 280 million people following Christ would look like if more people were choosing a faith that is all or nothing? I will tell you that it looks nothing like it looks right now. I am sick of partial Christianity.

Perhaps you are familiar with the Invisible Children movement that has happened around the country over the last couple of years. It is a large group of people who are taking a stand for the abduction of child soldiers in Uganda. They are doing everything they can from going over there, to giving support right from home. I was watching the latest video they released today and I could not help but feel so hurt inside that there are not enough people helping such an ungodly thing from happening. I suggest you please watch the FULL video HERE. There are people who are sacrificing so that someone else may have a better life, so someone else may see and follow Jesus.

Check out an update of the situation in this video:



Following Jesus ALL the way is hard. It just downright sucks sometimes. Regardless, it is what we are called to do. I'm tired of the excuse, "Well someone people are called to do that, but I am called to do this." That may be true in some ways, but we are all called to get off our lazy butts and take action in any way, shape or form.

When I continue talking about the all or nothing mentality that Paul had, we see the different hardships that he went through in 1 Corinthians 11:23-31:

"Are they servants of Christ?... I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked...

But If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever."

Paul went through all of that, and continues to Praise his name, not only in words or worship, but through action.

The faith of a Christian must CONSTANTLY be paired with the word ACTION.

Invisible Children has opened up tons of doors and ideas on how to join their movement. I suggest you watch the movie, and consider joining me in a small donation of $3 a week as a part of their TRI movement to help them with their continuing mission. What stupid stuff have you bought for more than $3 this week?

Time for Action is now.




0 comments: