Traveling the World, Right at Home...

Sorry about the little blog break friends, I have been studying for finals, doing papers and taking tests for about two weeks now, I am finally free!

Anywho, tonight was a very interesting night. Melissa's birthday was on Tuesday, so I decided to wait until tonight to take her out so that we don't have to deal with school.

Melissa and I both want to see the world very badly, but I thought hey, since I don't have a couple of thousand dollars to go see other countries, I will bring the countries a little closer! I got a tip off from a friend about a very cool restaurant. It consisted of traditional Moroccan cuisine! The restaurant was called Marrakesh, and it was amazing.

First off, the restaurant is hidden in a small little alley way in Philadelphia. To get into the restaurant, you go to this little door in the alley and knock on it, someone comes a minute later to let you in.

As soon as you go in, a guy dressed like Aladdan (cap and all) shows you to your table. Your table is actually a cushion type deal with a ton of pillows.

You eat off this one giant tray/plate. Before the meal, they come to your table and wash your hands by pouring hot water over them and catching it in a pale. It was quite the dining experience, here are a few other things I really enjoyed.

1 - A SEVEN course meal. Yes you heard me right, seven. We had plate, after plate, after plate; followed up by the best dessert I have EVER had... incredible! It gave Meliss and I SEVERAL hours to chat over dinner.

2 - Belly dancer! Of course I could not really thoroughly enjoy the belly dancer because she was a little under dressed, but the thought of the custom was really neat! I have never seen a traditional belly dancer before!

3 - Community. It was a very tight, homey room that we ate in. We were very close to other people eating, and had the opportunity to chat with several of them throughout the meal! It was pretty cool.
4 - Music. They played some traditional Moroccan music in the place, it was really different, but very cool!

People generally have no idea what other places in the world are like. We have some kind of ignorance or even intolerance for people we don't understand. I really enjoyed seeing what different customs are like in a country that I hope to visit someday! I recommend this place to anyone. It's not that expensive either. 5 STARS!

0 comments: