Countdown 2009... too good to be true.

So for months we have been planning our student ministries ridiculously awesome new years event called countdown. Countdown is a place where students from all over can come enjoy new years safely and loudly. This year we had constant programing, tons of food, human foosball, laser tag, improv, science experiments, a cafe' and much much more! The best part is, it went down without incident. This year countdown attracted about 400 students!!! I want to share one experience I had during the night:

For the actual countdown, we had passed out a glass of sparkling cider to every student, and had waited in the auditorium to count down, say happy new years, then toast together. I was on stage with April and with the band who was about to play a killer set to bring in the new years. When the time came to actually count down to one, the whole crowed was screaming. I was counting down, they were counting down and with a ferocious roar they all screamed happy new year and we toasted. That was probably the loudest I have ever heard them. Right afterwords I looked over at April and said... "I can not believe I get paid to do this."

That was a huge realization. At times youth ministry can be incredible challenging. At times it can feel nearly impossible. You have to take on things you could never be prepared for. Even in those times it is important to remember that as far as jobs go, loving teens is in heck of a job. So with that loud roar engraved in my memory. I hope to never forget how lucky I am to have such an incredible job surrounded by some of the most incredible coworkers and incredible kids on earth.

Thank all of you who made countdown 09' the biggest and baddest countdown ever. Our ministry would never work without you.

0 comments: