To Blog or Not To Blog...

...That is the question.

I was confronted by a good friend a couple of weeks ago who had read my blog a couple of times. This is a guy I can genuinely say cares about me. He is one of those friends who I can honestly say wants me to be a better friend next year than I am right now, and the year after that. If you're reading this, and you know who you are... thanks. Everyone needs to have a friend like that. Here is a quick verse that this guy reminded me of...

Proverbs 27:5-6

Better is open rebuke than hidden love.

Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses.

He told me very boldly that... he didn't like blogging. I asked him why, and he gave me a response that I wasn't quite ready for. He said that when you blog, it is almost like you are saying, "Hey, look at me! I have something good to say!" He said that there is a certain pride in blogging that isn't really representative of a true follower of Christ. I'll admit, at first I was ticked off. I was thinking in my head..."how dare you insult something I love to do, and make me sound like some arrogant jerk!" That is what I wanted to say... but instead I sat there. I thought. I wondered. Then I asked myself the question that every man hates to ask. Am I wrong???

I mean, to some extent he is definitely right. Jesus Christ is the guy that every Christian wants to strive to be like. This is the same man who constantly taught humility in every word and action. This is the same Jesus Christ who got down on his knees and washed the disgusting feet of every follower of his at the table. This is the same Jesus Christ who said in Matthew 23:

5"Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them 'Rabbi.'

8"But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. 9And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. 11The greatest among you will be your servant. 12For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

That verse makes it seem pretty clear. But then again, there were some very humble people who were sent in to the world to tell other of the "good news" of Jesus Christ. It's actually the charge we are given! We are told to go, make disciples, baptize and then teach.

I do view blogging as a way to go out in to the world. I see it as a small way to plant a small seed that perhaps other people in their life can then water or vice versa. Although it is one way to spread the good word, we all need to remember that it can never replace forming true, genuine, loving relationships to draw those near to Him.

So what I've done is created a couple of small guidelines to make sure if you are a blogger you are doing it for the right reasons...

BLOGGING GUIDELINES!

1 - Always ask the question, "am I honoring God with these words?" If what you say causes anyone to stumble, then you are on the wrong track.

2 - NEVER blog for the purpose of being exalted or praised... EVER!

3 - If you are blogging to get more hits on your analytics, then you need to stop blogging immediately.

4 - If you are blogging to market yourself, be true to who you are, no fake persona.

5 - It is okay to blog to get something off of your chest that you need to let out, just remember everyone is going to see that... potentially forever. It will never go away. Don't blog out of anger or frustration. Let it sit for a while.

6 - Blog when you actually have something to say. Don't sit at your computer thinking about what useless blog you could throw up next.

7 - It's okay to make people laugh! If you want to throw something up there just to brighten one persons day, go for it!

8 - Get your facts straight. You look like a moron if you put something up on your blog that may not be true. People mess this up all the time when using a Bible verse without knowing its background and its context.

9 - Remember legal and logistical implications. You could potentially lose a job or find yourself in a bind because of something you publish in the public eye for all to see.

10 - Don't be afraid to be bold. Saying all of that other stuff first, don't be afraid to be real. Share genuine struggles and joys in life (as long as you keep all of that other stuff in mind!)

So that is all I have for you tonight. Continue to have fun out there all of you fellow bloggers. Make sure you are asking yourself if you are blogging for the right reasons!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogging IS generally done for the purpose of having other people read your writings. If people didn't, there'd be virtually no reason for blogs.

People are perfectly capable of keeping private journals should they want to. But most don't.

If that's a pride thing to this particular person that's fine, but they need to realize that's THEIR issue and perspective, not some kind of absolute truth.

Really, I don't see how blogging is any more of a "hey look at me and how cool I am" pride issue than an athlete who does well at a particular sport or an extremely talented musician.

Writers write because they enjoy it, and they want to get better and have their writings read.

None of that happens without an audience.

That doesn't automatically make them bad people or prideful people.

Certainly some of them are, and I agree that doing anything for the sole objective of receiving praise from others is probably not a worthwhile investment. But to me blogging and writing is every bit as much about self-discovery as it is about sharing interesting tidbits and connecting with your readers.

Writers need praise, just like EVERYONE else in life needs to be praised in order to feel like what they're doing matters.

That's not a pride thing, that's part of the human condition.

I do agree however, that receiving praise from others should not be the main objective of anything we do in life.

Adam Flora said...

Appreciate the comment and response! I was somewhat confused by your response and think that you may not have grasped quite what I was getting across. I'm not making the generalization that anyone who blogs has a pride issue, I did say that if you are blogging to receive praise then you do have pride in your life. Jesus Christ constantly asks us to do things in secret, and "not for the praise of man, but for God who sees what is done in private."

Also, your statement...

"Really, I don't see how blogging is any more of a 'hey look at me and how cool I am' pride issue than an athlete who does well at a particular sport or an extremely talented musician."

First off, I believe in any of these situations, if the reason the person blogs and/or plays sports for the reason to be seen and/or praised then it is still pride and unhealthy regardless of what activity it is.

Most writers don't write to have people think wonderfully about them. (not humble writers anyway). They write because they think they have something that may be beneficial to others or they write to provide others with something that they may enjoy.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO problem with someone writing for self-discovery and to connect with others. I encourage that!

One of the last statements you said though I did disagree with strongly. You said:

"Writers need praise, just like EVERYONE else in life needs to be praised in order to feel like what they're doing matters."

I disagree that we need praise. If anything else, we can all humble ourselves and know that what we are doing matters by how it effects and changes those around us. Granted humility is not our cultural norm, so to wrap out minds around a life that is not filled with praise seems stupid. But when push comes to shove, when you show up to the pearly gates you will be praised then by those things you did without anyone even knowing.

Hope that cleared up some things. Once again, thanks for the comment, I enjoy being challenged by those who read. Another great reason why blogging can be such a beneficial activity regardless of praise!

-Love and Adventure,

Adam

Alex Stenman said...

I agree. I'm glad you blogged about this because i have countless people telling me the same thing.
I believe that a lot of people have a lot of good things to say and that they should say it... with a humble heart. Its honestly one of the hardest things to do. If you are able to express yourself in a humble way then keep goin... if not, stop.
Its a struggle, but anyone with something to say should say it. and then other people can read it (or watch it) and argue with it, wrestle with it, agree with it, even adapt it.
the exchange of ideas have propelled human civilization to where it is today and people should exchange them. Blogging is a very efficient and new-age venue for doing so. Nothing wrong with it!
I love blogging and i love reading other peoples blogs. it helps me see other peoples points of view and evaluate my own point of view. I appreciate every person's blog who i read because it helps me. And thats why i blog. If my words can do half of what those other peoples blogs did for me, then i will be happy. That's not prideful, that's just hopeful.